Tuesday 10 November 2015

A ripple in the pond before a wave in the ocean.

A ripple in the pond before a wave in the ocean. 
In other words you have to learn to walk before you can run! I have taken my first tentative steps at writing, publishing and now the marketing. The launch event for me was always going to be my first major step in the world of marketing and I smashed it, even if I do say so myself. The venue was stunning, creating a wow factor for my guests which was a must on my list. The venue was in a bar called On the 7th in MediaCityUK. The bar is the whole seventh floor of one of the media complex's that houses production companies, TV companies such as the BBC and ITV here in the North West area of the UK and it is part of the Eclectic group of hotels. It was a fantastic choice of venue and I chose an afternoon tea for the food aspect of the event. There was fine crockery, polished silver, white cotton and English roses decorating the enormous table in the centre of the annex room of the main lounge area. My guests were greeted firstly by me and then served with tea or coffee and home made biscuits. When I had done my final head count and knew all guests were present I was announced by the manager in readiness for my speech. I acknowledged three people who were not present who should have been, my mother (who died when I was a child), my son (who was away at uni) and my best friend Julie (who was too unwell to attend) and then I delivered my speech which I had written and edited 4 times in order to perfect it. I presented it with confidence to 60 people and witnessed tears and laughter as well as the round of applause at the end! I certainly didn't expect to move people to tears. I then announced a raffle to raise funds for one of my favourite charities (Gift of a Wedding) which gifts weddings to terminally ill people and the prizes were a frame containing artwork, signed research notes and part of an original email appertaining to the book. The first prize, I kept a secret, which added to the mystery as all my guests were told was that it was relevant to the book! The first prize ticket was drawn and it was announced that the winner would be going for coffee with the 'coffee o'clock' girls, who are characters in the book based upon three of my friends! and that we will be going to one of the venues mentioned in the book! I thought that was a great idea and it was certainly well received by the winner! The food was served on slate platters and ornate cake stands and the candles glistened as dusk fell and darkness finally changed the outside view to reflect electric lights of various forms, catching the ripples of the canal down below. The variety of cakes, intertwined with strawberries and kumquats made a pretty site and a created many a salivating mouth! I mingled with each guest individually and thanked them all as I handed them their gifts bags containing signed copies of my book, bookmarks with a feather image (representing my mother) and luxury chocolate and mini pastries to enjoy as they read their books. I presented certain people who had helped me on my journey with bouquets, individual bookmarks and a special bottle of Whiskey for Mr Ed my editor. The lounge area bustled with conversation, the photo booth created laughter and glasses chinked and bottles popped as bubbles were enjoyed. I had a cake designed by Little Moo cakes and she created a library shelf with my book atop of the creation and a white feather hidden amongst the fondant! There was also a plaque on the cake which said, 'If you cannot see the book you want on the shelf, write it' which of course I did. It was a fabulous fabulous day and I am humbled that so many people chose to pay to attend my event but to have people saying that they could not wait to read the book based upon my speech and people telling me that I had inspired them to write and to arrive home so many text messages and over 50 Facebook messages was overwhelming to say the least. My windowsill flows with congratulatory cards and flowers and I have received wines, champagnes and feather pens too! It has been an adrenaline filled twelve months and I am really looking forward to the marketing phase which although in it's very early stages, I am loving, despite my mistakes! It's all a part of the walking to throw a pebble in the pond before I can run into the ocean and show the waves what I am made of. Thank to everyone along the way and that undoubtedly includes my readers. Thank you for sharing my various forms of social media and please could you do me a favour. Chuck a pebble in the pond for me would you and share this link with another potential reader! https://completelynovel.com/books/exactly-23-days Thank you.  

Word of the day: Success. The accomplishment of an aim or purpose. Without a doubt!











SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger templates by pipdig